A California man has been arrested after his 23-month-old daughter was found to have “toxic levels” of fentanyl in her system when she died, authorities said Thursday.
“Fentanyl is an extremely dangerous drug and impacts the lives of many,” Livermore Police Chief Jeramy Young said. “Fentanyl use and the illegal distribution of the drug is a nationwide epidemic. This is a tragic loss for the family and our community, and I look forward to justice being served so there is some closure.”
ARIZONA DETECTIVES SEIZE RAINBOW FENTANYL, FIREARMS, OTHER DRUGS DURING MAJOR BUST
The girl was found unresponsive on Aug. 18 and was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, police said.
Pittman was taking care of her on the day she died. He admitted to officers to having a fentanyl addiction, police said.
“After a thorough investigation and review of the autopsy and toxicology reports, it was determined that the baby had toxic levels of fentanyl in her blood at the time of her death,” the police department said.
The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office issued an arrest warrant for Pittman. He was taken into custody Wednesday in Martinez, 35 miles northeast of San Francisco.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
There have been four fentanyl-related deaths in Livermore this year, authorities said.